Friday, April 16, 2010

Wait for me Cecile


Blowfish and I are taking a four day trip to celebrate his birthday.
We will have the joy of hugging our Mermaid and the horses. We will see Spring in the Bluegrass, a very fabulous sight indeed. We will go to the races, visit galleries, book and antique shops, eat too much, laugh a lot, sleep in heavenly beds and delight in the retelling of favorite family tales. I am eager to go Fizzing up the road.

But there is Cecile. Our beautiful, fabulous, ginormous Cecile Brunner rose. Cecile is about 20 feet tall and 30 wide. Currently she has thousands of buds with a few early openings. But every year, when Cecile has her big BloomOut it is spectacular. Thousands of pale pink roses sending forth an incredible, but not heavy fragrance. It is a one of my favorite Pond joys. Each Spring we put out the systemic rose care granules to prevent disappointments. Then , once we see the first leaves coming, the first buds forming, we go out after dinner and inspect Cecile to make sure she hasn't any insects or illnesses. We talk to her. We eagerly await her show day. It is glorious! Blooms however, fade so over the rest of Spring and Summer there are always enough blooms to have sweet smelling arrangements in the house. It's great, but it is not the same as the first Spring BloomOut when the entire 20x30 expanse is covered in perfection. Sigh. Cecile is close. I'm thinking she might have her big Spring Bloom Out while we are away. That I will miss the day when suddenly there is Cecile massed in blooms waving gently on the Spring winds. Wait for me Cecile, wait for me!

6 comments:

Jenny said...

"Fizz Happens", Dear Fishy. I hope Cecile waits for you... but if not... you'll know you can't mess with Mother Nature.

My neighbors have a trailing bush that covers our mutual fence and spills happily into our yard.. A LOT. Each year they offer to cut it off our fence and each year I say "nooooooo." It just wouldn't be the same if I didn't smell the blooms. Have a great trip and I hope you and Cecile are runited soon. Happy B-day to Blowfish!

Aunty Belle said...

How utterly charming!

Aunty Belle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

Enjoy your fizzy weekend! I hope Cecile holds back her blossoms too. Can't wait for you to post some pics .... hi to Mermaid and the horses too!

chickory said...

a lovely letter to a big part of your family it seems! i know what it is like to anticipate the flowering oc certain plants in a collection. i hope cecil does wait for you because she is gorgeous!

chickory said...

happy birthday to blowfish